Skip to content
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, shredded on a box grater
- 1 medium celery root, peeled, shredded on a box grater
- 1 medium onion, shredded on a box grater
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 1¼ cups French green lentils
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium. Add carrots, celery root, onion, and 2 tsp. salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils. Pour in 3¾ cups boiling water and bring to a boil once more. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender but retain their shape, 20-30 minutes.
- Season with more salt, if desired. (Do not drain excess liquid; lentils remain tender better if stored in their cooking liquid.) To serve, use a slotted spoon or mesh strainer.
- 3 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, quartered if large
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Toss brussels sprouts, oil, salt, and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, tossing occasionally, until tender and browned, 35–45 minutes.
- 1 pound baby yellow or red beets, trimmed, scrubbed
- ½ cup Sherry or red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup raw pistachios, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 425°. Combine beets, ¼ cup vinegar, 2 Tbsp. oil, and ¼ cup water in a baking dish; season with salt.
- Cover with foil and steam until beets are tender, 40–50 minutes. Let cool slightly. Rub off skins with paper towels; cut beets into quarters (or ½” wedges if larger).
- Toss beets with shallot, thyme, remaining ¼ cup vinegar, and remaining ¼ cup oil in a large bowl; season with salt. Let sit at least 2 hours.
- Toss with pistachios and tarragon just before serving.
- Olive oil (for grill and drizzling)
- 2 pounds Italian eggplants (4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sumac, za’atar, crushed red pepper flakes, or Aleppo pepper; grilled flatbreads or pita bread (for serving)
- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into florets with some stalk attached, or 1 medium acorn squash, seeds removed, cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, warmed to liquefy if needed
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Toss vegetables with oil on a rimmed baking sheet to coat; season with salt and pepper. Roast until deep golden brown and tender, 20–25 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then toss with nutritional yeast.
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces uncooked linguine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil