- 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 18-oz. jar good-quality marinara sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 oz. chopped kale
- 1 8-oz. container ricotta
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 12-oz. ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large, deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, crumbling with a wooden spoon until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic, and cook until tender, another 5 minutes. Add sauce and let simmer for 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook kale until wilted, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then move to a strainer and press down with paper towels to squeeze out any excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, and egg. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, then stir in wilted kale.
Spread a few spoonfuls of sauce in the bottom of a small, deep-sided square or rectangular baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles and cover with 1/3 ricotta mixture.
- Add 1/3 mozzarella and cover with sauce; repeat layers two more times, ending with mozzarella on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Heat broiler; cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and brown on top. Let cool slightly, then garnish with chopped parsley and serve.