Skip to content
- 1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 4 egg yolks
- Microwave chocolate in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice; stir in brewed coffee. Set chocolate mixture aside.
- Bring whipping cream, half-and-half, 1/2 cup sugar, and coffee granules to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve.
- Beat yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour hot cream mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Pour chilled mixture into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve ice cream with cookies, if desired.
- 85g very soft butter
- 85g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 85g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- small handful of walnut pieces (optional)
For the buttercream
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp milk
- 25g very soft butter
- 100g icing sugar
For the cake mix
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 15 walnut halves
- 2 heaped tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
For the filling
- 500g pot mascarpone
- 85g light muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp Tia Maria
- A few toasted walnut halves, for decoration
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 drops brandy extract or rum extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
- In a blender, combine milk, coffee granules, sweetener and extract. Blend until coffee is dissolved. Serve with a dash of cinnamon. For a hot drink, pour into a mug and heat in a microwave.