- 1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 4 egg yolks
- Microwave chocolate in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice; stir in brewed coffee. Set chocolate mixture aside.
- Bring whipping cream, half-and-half, 1/2 cup sugar, and coffee granules to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve.
- Beat yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour hot cream mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Pour chilled mixture into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve ice cream with cookies, if desired.