- 1 Beef Tri-Tip roast (1.5 to 2 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. coarse ground pepper or your preferred seasoning rub
- Blot the roast with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper or seasoning rub.
- Lightly coat grates with vegetable oil spray. Close cooking chamber lids.
- Place 3-5 lbs. of charcoal, in center of the firebox. Open the firebox air vent approximately 1-2″, and smokestack damper halfway. With firebox lid open, stand back, carefully light charcoal and allow to burn until covered with a light ash. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Once coals have ashed over, add wood chunks. Do not shut firebox lid until the smoke is clean, often called Blue Smoke.
- Close firebox lid. Adjust the firebox air vent and smokestack damper to regulate cooking temperature. The ideal smoking temperature is between 275°F-300°F.