- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, shredded on a box grater
- 1 medium celery root, peeled, shredded on a box grater
- 1 medium onion, shredded on a box grater
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 1¼ cups French green lentils
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium. Add carrots, celery root, onion, and 2 tsp. salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils. Pour in 3¾ cups boiling water and bring to a boil once more. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender but retain their shape, 20-30 minutes.
- Season with more salt, if desired. (Do not drain excess liquid; lentils remain tender better if stored in their cooking liquid.) To serve, use a slotted spoon or mesh strainer.