- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean scraped with pod reserved
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the milk, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean seeds and vanilla bean pod in a medium size saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk together and heat it until it is very hot, but not boiling. This should take about 5 minutes.
- While the milk is warming, add the egg yolks to a large mixing bowl and whisk them vigorously, for 2 minutes, until they are lighter in color.
Remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean pod from the hot milk and discard. Place the whisked eggs next to the stove and slowly drizzle in about 1/3 cup of the hot milk while constantly whisking.
- Repeat with another 1/3 cup of the hot liquid. When this is mixed in, slowly pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk, while stirring with a spoon. Stir and cook it for about 2-3 minutes, until the liquid is thick enough to coat the spoon.
- Set a mesh strainer over a glass bowl and carefully strain the custard. Add the heavy cream and the ground cinnamon to the bowl and stir it together. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, preferably until it is cool.
- Pour into the ice cream machine and process according to your machine’s instructions. When the ice cream is finished it will be soft serve consistency. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and chill for a few hours for firmer ice cream. Enjoy!