- 1/2 cup granular sweetener for ice cream*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla.
- Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture; chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let stand at room temperature 5 to 10 minutes before serving.