- 15 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 9 medium lemons, halved
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups cold water
- In a small bowl, soak thyme sprigs in 1 cup water while preparing lemons. Place 1/4 cup sugar on a plate; dip cut sides of lemons in sugar.
- Cover and grill lemons, cut side down, over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Drain thyme; grill for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water, honey and remaining sugar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Remove from the heat. Add grilled thyme sprigs and extract; let stand for 1 hour to steep. Discard thyme.
- Meanwhile, squeeze lemons to obtain 1-1/2 cups juice; strain. In a large pitcher, combine 5 cups cold water, thyme syrup and lemon juice. Serve over ice.