FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 lb. bunch green onions, plus more thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken drumsticks and thighs
- Vegetable oil, for grill
- In a blender, combine green onions, garlic, jalapen~o, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons water and blend until smooth. Set aside 1/4 cup.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish and season with salt.Pour remaining marinade over chicken; toss to coat. Let marinate in fridge, turning once or twice, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, heat grill to medium-high and oil grates. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until chicken is charred in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Move chicken to a cooler part of the grill and brush with reserved marinade. Grill, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more.