- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup undiluted frozen lemonade concentrate
- Heat the milk to a boil in a heavy pan. Cover and remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until light and thick.
- Slow pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Turn the mixture to the sauce pan and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon.
- Do not allow it to come to a boil or it will curdle.
- Add in lemon extract, zest, and juice.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate it, loosely covered with plastic wrap until chilled. At least 3 hours.
- Freeze in the mixture in your ice cream maker.
- Once it starts to set and thicken, add in the lemonade concentrate and continue mixing until set up.
- Place in freezer to set up further.