- 1 recipe Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 recipe White Vanilla Frosting
- 35 large pretzel rods
- 2 (12-oz.) bags white candy melts (4 c.), melted
- Candy: blue and white sanding sugar; silver, white, and blue dragées; and crushed blue starlight mints
- Make Chocolate Chip Cake according to recipe. Trim domed tops of two of the layers. Place one trimmed layer on a cake stand or serving platter and top with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat, then place domed layer on top. Chill while decorating pretzels.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trim pretzel rods with a serrated knife so they will reach just above the top of the cake (about 4 inches). Dip the cut end of one pretzel in melted candy melts, leaving the other end uncoated. Decorate with sanding sugar, dragées, and starlight mints. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels, candy melts, and candy; reserve any unused candy melts. Let set at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Frost the top and outside of the cake with White Vanilla Frosting. Attach decorated pretzels around sides of cake.
- Remelt reserved candy melts. Spread in a thin layer, about 1/8 inch thick, on the back of a baking sheet. Chill until solid, 4 to 6 minutes. Use a flat metal spatula or bench scraper to scrape up the chocolate, creating curls and shards. Sprinkle over top of cake.