- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup six-grain blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk granules
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or the bucket of a bread machine. Mix and knead by hand, electric mixer or bread machine until the dough is smooth and supple, adding additional liquid or all-purpose flour as needed.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for about 1 hour. (In a bread machine, allow the machine to complete its dough cycle.)
- Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into a 9″ log.
- Place the loaf in a lightly greased 9″ x 5″ pan, cover the pan, and let the loaf rise about 40 to 60 minutes, or until it’s crowned about 1″ over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it’s golden brown and its internal temperature registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the bread from the oven, remove it from the pan, and allow it to cool on a rack.
- Yield: 1 loaf.