- 1 tsp Ginger (ground)
- 75g Unrefined light muscovado sugar
- 60ml Milk (whole)
- 75g Butter (unsalted)
- 100g Plain white flour
- 150g Icing sugar
- Food colouring (colour of your choice)
- Sieve the flour and ginger into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Stir in enough milk so that the mixture begins to stick together then bring the dough together with your hand. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to about 5mm (1-4inch) thick, then cut into heart shapes using 7.5cm (3inch) biscuit cutters. Transfer the shapes to greased baking sheets.
- Re-roll the trimmings and cut out more shapes until all the dough is used. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, 350°F, gas mark 4) for 8-10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for about 1 minute, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- For the finishing touch, seive icing sugar into a medium bowl and gradually add enough water to make a smooth, spreadable icing. A few drops of food colouring will give you a colourful finish. Alternatively use fruit juice or undiluted cordial for a fruity, colourful twist.