- Kosher salt
- 5 oz. rice vermicelli
- 2 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1″ piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1½ tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- Toasted unsweetened shredded coconut (for serving)
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Remove from heat; add noodles. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 4 minutes (time may vary by brand). Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened and golden, about 3 minutes. Add ginger, turmeric, and 1 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk, honey, and ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer; cook until flavors come together, about 5 minutes.
- Mix fish sauce and noodles into broth; season with salt if needed. Divide among bowls and top with shredded coconut and more pepper.