- 1 cup brewed espresso
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup half and half or 1/2 cup heavy cream plus 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pour the hot espresso over the sugar and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the cream and stir again. Lightly whisk the egg yolks and slowly pour them into the espresso mixture, whisking constantly.
- Stir constantly while warming the mixture over medium heat. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, this should take about 10 minutes. Combine the half and half and vanilla in a medium size glass bowl and pour the warm mixture into the cream.
- Stir to combine and then place in the refrigerator.
Chill for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight, before freezing according to your ice cream maker’s directions. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream or store in an airtight container and freeze for a couple of hours for a firmer ice cream. Serve with Chocolate Sauce if desired. Enjoy!