- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. vegetable bouillon base (we used Better Than Bouillon
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 1/2 lbs.), peeled (seeds reserved), cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. light coconut milk
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the bouillon base with 6 cups boiling water, stirring to dissolve.
- Add the squash, carrots, 2 teaspoon turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Toss the reserved seeds (about 1/4 cup with the remaining teaspoon of oil, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and roast until golden brown and crispy, 9 to 11 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or standard blender, working in batches) purée the soup. Sprinkle with the toasted seeds and swirl in the coconut milk.