- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). With softened butter, butter a 20-cm (8-inch) square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the remaining ingredients and combine using a whisk or an electric mixer until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Bake the cake for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack in the pan. Once cooled, ice the cake or simply cut into squares and serve with strawberries and whipped cream or ice cream.