- 1 cup almond creamer
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Six 1/2-inch-thick slices of day-old sourdough bread
- Sliced bananas, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk the almond creamer with the flour, ground flax, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and the 1 tablespoon of maple syrup until a thick batter forms. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Dip 2 slices of the bread in the batter, coating both sides and letting some of the excess batter drip off. Add to the skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer the French toast to a platter and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining bread, batter and oil. Serve with maple syrup and sliced bananas.