- 1 1/2 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup crumbled amaretti cookies
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups well−chilled heavy cream
- In a bowl toss peaches with 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice and let mixture stand 30 minutes. Drain
mixture and purée peaches in a food processor.
- In heavy saucepan combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water, bring mixture to a boil over moderate heat, washing down the sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water, and simmer the syrup until it is a pale golden caramel. Add 1/2 cup boiling water carefully (mixture will bubble vigorously) and simmer mixture, stirring, until caramel is dissolved.
- In a small bowl sprinkle the cookies with Amaretto and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer beat egg yolks until they are thick and pale, add syrup in a stream, beating, and beat mixture until cool. Stir in vanilla extract, peach purée, cookie mixture and cream. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.