- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon each dried oregano, parsley flakes and minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, toss potato flakes with seasonings. Remove half of the mixture and reserve (for a second coat of breading).
- Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in potato mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Arrange chicken in an even layer on a large plate. Cover and refrigerate chicken and remaining egg mixture 1 hour. Discard remaining used potato mixture.
- In a 12-in. cast-iron or other deep skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil over medium heat to 350°. For the second coat of breading, dip chicken in remaining egg mixture, then in unused potato mixture; pat to coat. Fry chicken 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.