- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, for topping
- In a non-aluminum stock pot, dissolve 1/3 cup baking soda in 5 cups water. Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and baking soda. Stir in buttermilk and honey until dough pulls together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly to form a firm dough.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a cylinder approximately 12 inches long. Form into classic pretzel shape. Pinch ends to seal. Dip pretzels in baking soda solution and then place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle pretzels with kosher salt, and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.