- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken legs
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion(s), small, finely-chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) allspice, ground
- 28 fl oz (830 mL) stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped
- In large casserole, heat olive oil over medium high heat. In batches, brown chicken legs and thighs on both sides and then remove and place on plate.
- Add garlic, onion and sauté until golden. Add allspice and stir until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Then add tomato paste, vinegar, honey and bay leaf to casserole and stir ingredients together. Add chicken and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium low heat until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove sauce and purée in food processor or blender. Return sauce to casserole. Serve over rice or pasta and sprinkle with parsley.